2019 Spirit of America Award Recipients
- Danville Junction Grange donates scholarships & dictionaries, raises funds that assist veterans.
- Larry Pelletier serves on several boards and committees & regularly picks up park + street litter.
- Amvets Post 13 has helped vets get to medical appointments, obtain heating fuel + in more ways
- Ladies Auxiliary of Amvets Post 13 has assisted & supported Post 13 in efforts to help veterans
- George Farris Jr. has served Green Volunteer Fire Dept. many yrs & been Assist. Rescue Chief.
- Gerald Hartford has coached baseball, served Fire Dept. 35+ years & puts flags on Vet graves.
- Valerie Hartford has volunteered at school, kept baseball scores, cleaned and researched graves.
- Lewiston Youth Advisory Council is a city committee of high-school age youths doing projects.
- Angela Shambarger has led LCSPTO, Performing Arts Center & done much more to help town.
- Lew Lyman has been a North Livermore Baptist Church member for 50+ years and town sexton.
- Shoulder to Shoulder is project of 100+ Fayette Bapt. Church volunteers helping folks in need.
- Gary Purington has been school maintenance director & on Planning Board and Appeals Board.
- Hester Gilpatric serves as Minot Historical Soc. President, helps her church & Community Day.
- Manna Fed supplies RSU 16 children in need with back packs of food for holidays & weekends.
- Kaci-Lee Versluis is a traveling youth Judo athlete + she regularly volunteers for various events.
- Roy Nickerson has been Selectman & a member of Masons, Shriners, VFW + American Legion.
- Crystal Guerrette has served as a Maine Honor Flight guardian and a Red Cross disaster helper.
- Barbara Aiken assists holiday gingerbread house decorating, Ecumenical Food Pantry & more.
- Caribou Rotary Club helps Caribou High School, Performing Arts Center, Little League, others
- Channel X Radio has publicized the accomplishments of local people & businesses for decades.
- Roger Felix is VFW Commander, helps at Maine Vets Cemetery and chaperones Honor Flights.
- Bill Flagg has volunteered countless hours helping Recovery Aroostook, Maine Vets & C.A.R.L.
- Christina Kane-Gibson is city’s Marketing & Events Coordinator, goes way above call of duty.
- Constance Michaud has helped numerous people over 30+ yrs at City Hall, also thru her church.
- Shawn Pelletier founded Brian’s Ride & strives to make Caribou a better place in which to live.
- Valerie Waldemarson heads JMG program, has raised funds for food pantry and Anah Shriners.
Castle Hill, Chapman & Mapleton
- Chapman Ridge Runners Snowmobile and ATV Club grooms trails, hosts community events.
- Dennis Drew & Robert Dunphy over a 4-year span rebuilt the Historic Island Falls Bell Tower.
- Thomas Goff served in Vietnam War & then as a Selectman for 40 yrs, helping Merrill so much.
- Ross Crandall served as a Smyrna Selectman for nearly 40 yrs, doing so much to help his town.
- Joanne Ward has served as ballot clerk for 56 years, has volunteered much time for her church.
- Harriet Stowe School Climate Club organized strike, asked its town for a climate change plan.
- Pond Cove Playground Committee did fundraising & coordinated efforts to rebuild playground.
- Wendy Betts raised funds for new pavilion + playground & does much else for Casco Rec Dept.
- Cumberland-North Yarmouth Lions Club provides eyeglass services, scholarships and more.
- Wayne Drown was School Resource Officer, coached teams, helped DARE + Special Olympics.
- Lacy Antonson started and chairs Gray Blueberry Festival, serves on multiple town committees.
- William Callahan served 10+ years as Naples Harbormaster + also helped Marine Safety Patrol.
- North Yarmouth Comprehensive Plan Committee worked 2 years to update the 15-year-old plan
- Pownal Budget Committee, facing a challenge, made excellent decisions for this year’s budget.
- Raymond Beautification Committee does cleanups + plantings & wreath decorating at Xmas.
- Corinne AuCoin heads Sebago’s food and clothes pantries & its medical equipment loan closet.
- Neighbors for Neighborhoods identified unregulated rentals issue + led successful referendum.
- Terrence Christy has served on Town Council, Planning Board, Appeals Board and with VIPS.
- Barbara Hall has selflessly served for many years at the Medical Loan Closet and Food Pantry.
- Benjamin Cox-Faxon performed much community service during his years at Yarmouth High.
- Robert Cox has served as Constable, town meeting moderator, Selectman and volunteer fireman.
- Scott Baxter, Ted Baxter, Michael Bell, Terry Bell, Tim Hardy, Timothy “TD” Hardy, Joseph Hastings, Larry Lord & Clyde Ross (all Farmington firefighters) have risked and even lost their lives helping folks.
- Jay Recreation Committee has done extensive trail maintenance & runs annual family festival.
- Travis Targett spearheaded effort to renovate town’s ballfield without any funding from town.
- Richard Hargreaves has been very active with ADA lift, library, snowmobile club, comp plan.
- Maxine Sargent was town clerk; also helped park commission, snowmobile club & garden club.
- Duayne Boyd has served with distinction, made many sacrifices, as chief of the Strong Fire Dept.
- Michael Senecal has spent much time + effort in organizing weekly community meals in Strong.
- Marilyn Josephson has served on the Budget, Scholarship, Road, and Recreation Committees.
- Bernard Rackliffe Sr has been Road Commiss., in Fire Dept, on Budget & Finance committees.
- Paulette Cahn personally, yearly maintains the many Wilton flower boxes planted by Tyngtown.
- Hazel Flagg is instrumental in placing/maintaining/replacing flags displayed each yr on Main St.
- Craig Bowden has served 39 years on Fire Dept. (18 as Chief) & secured $1,000,000+ in grants.
- Kathy Downes has served over 25 years as Town Clerk and also on multiple town committees.
- David Keene has been a Town Councilor, a high school football coach & a Little League coach.
- Rebecca Grindle serves as a volunteer firefighter, cooks for events and cares for people in need.
- Bob Pulver has served on School Committee, on Conservation Commission and helps neighbors.
- Richard Savage has served on the SelectBoard, Planning Board, Fire Dept. & MDI Lions Club.
- Rebecca Collison has been Selectman, Surry Community Assoc. President and on other boards.
- Gary Mosley & Glyneta Thomson restored and raised funds for the Old Surry Village School.
- John & Mary Whetstone have done much for the Veterans Memorial & help with other things.
- Kennebec Valley Garden Club annually decorates Governor’s Mansion + beautifies other areas.
- Rhonda Adlam annually plants + cares for flowers placed by the town signs at her own expense.
- John & Janet House have chaired Friends of Belgrade Library’s 5K Fundraiser for past 10 yrs.
- John Sutton has very actively worked with the SelectBoard and several other town committees.
- Kathe Bolster has served on the Economic Development Committee and on the Planning Board.
- Leonetta Burns has updated Chelsea cemetery records, restored maps & located veteran graves.
- China Four Seasons Club runs public suppers for causes, grooms snowmobile trail, does more.
- Phyllis & Carl Farris do so much behind the scenes to help the China community & its people.
- Kevin & Naomi Wiswell have done much for Clinton thru their volunteerism + Wiswell Electric
- Donald Simoneau has been Maine American Legion Legis. Chair, organizes Memorial parades.
- Friends of Christ Church brought The Wall That Heals to Maine + organized concurrent events
- Deb Fahy served as Harlow Gallery Director & promoted arts as a community economic driver.
- Stella Lauter is a youth who helps prepare, serve and clean up suppers for the Manchester Lions.
- Rebecca Pushard helps Togus VA through fundraisers & getting donations, also helps the Lions.
- Jack Schrader has donated blood for 53 years, also assists PALS cat shelter & Meals on Wheels.
- Erika Shaw has run fundraisers to benefit families in need with kids in Manchester community.
- Michelle Handley has used her artistic abilities to benefit many of the Monmouth organizations.
- Monmouth Fish and Game Sportsmen’s Club provides training and lets many use its facilities.
- Sandra Wright helped start and is the President of Mount Vernon Community Partnership Corp.
- Christopher Mcpherson was founding member of town’s summer music series & coordinates it.
- Edward Pearl has been monitoring Waterfront Park for years, helps clean it, talks with visitors.
- Sandy Swartz has been responsible for Main Street flowers & gets donations to support project.
- Jim & Jeannie Lothridge help Historical Society, started a 4-H Club, volunteer at Pittston Fair.
- Mary Hall volunteers at Cohen Community Center; answers phones & does other things to help.
- John Parent initiated and organized the annual roadside cleanup & has assisted several boards.
- Tim Sniffen has been a key volunteer for Readfield Conservation Comm. & the Library for years
- Andrews Tolman has served on several school, municipal and nonprofit boards and committees.
- David Sprague & Alice VanDerwerken have helped Farmers Market, folks in need and others.
- David Smith volunteers in nursing homes, at the VA hospital and for Sidney Historical Society.
- Gail Smith has assisted Sidney 4-H Club, local Snowmobile Club, and also the Bang Cemetery.
- Mary Grow keeps citizens involved in town happenings and is a resource of info for Selectmen
- James Anderberg is the town’s webmaster and he also has served on various town committees.
- Wayne Aging at Home Committee & Volunteers do so much to help elderly folks of Wayne.
- The Windsor Ladies Aid has helped folks in need due to sickness/financial reasons for 150 yrs.
- JoEllen Cottrell serves as Executive Director of Winthrop Area Food Bank, helps folks in need.
- Daniel Remian served many years on Board of Assessors, Planning Board & Historical Society.
- Richard Carver has served on SelectBoard, Plan Board, Solid Waste Comm. + Harbor Comm.
- Maynard Tolman has served on SelectBoard, School Board, Hospital Board, other committees.
- Sally Long for yrs has been member of Wiley’s Corner Grange, her church + fire dept supporter.
- Beniah Harding served 21 yrs on School Board, revitalized the Thomaston Academy Building.
- Anita Brown has helped Pullen Fund Committee, Aging in Place Committee & her UM Church.
- Travis Brown has served on SelectBoard, Parks and Recreation Committee, for his UM Church.
- Kathy Ocean has served as Selectman, Gibbs Library President & on Conservation Committee.
- Steve Ocean has been on the Appeals Board, Planning Board and on the Recreation Committee.
- WW&F Railway Museum was founded in 1989 to restore & rebuild an original Maine railroad.
- Bremen Planning Board ensures all shoreland zoning permits meet the town’s ordinance rules.
- Robert Tobey has spent much time & effort helping his town understand climate change effects.
- Nancy Cote has been a volunteer with hospice, Summerfest, Winterfest, cancer fundraising, etc.
- Janet Blevins has played a very important role in the development of Edgecomb’s new website.
- Lincoln County Quilters members have made & presented 175+ quilts to veterans over 8+ yrs.
- Allen Ray has been Little League coach, Chamber of Commerce President + Life Line volunteer.
- Kriss Hunold has served on School Board, PTO, Backpack Program, Energy Fund, Food Pantry.
- Geraldine Kimball has given countless hours & made many contributions to bettering her town.
- Gunnar Gundersen has served on fire dept., been Emergency Management Dir. & Scout leader.
- Carol Blodgett has done so much for Lions, Historical Society, Woman’s Club and her church.
- Roger Higgins has served as Emergency Management Director & on Volunteer Fire Department.
- Gaye Wagner has served as Town Clerk, Deputy Town Clerk, on the town’s History Committee.
- Lynn Talacko designed the fire station, served both the fire dept. and as an EMT for 30+ years.
- Family Holiday Wishes Committee organizes program providing Xmas gifts to youths in need.
- James Young joined Bethel Fire Dept. in 1968 & has been Chief or Assistant Chief since 1990.
- Michelle Day has headed Fire Auxiliary and has chaired Old Home Days & Xmas Tree Lighting.
- Deborah Morang leads youth activities, Bible School, women retreats & senior facility caroling.
- Allan Trumbull has served as Selectman, State Legislator, Kiwanis officer, youth sports coach.
- Fred Henderson has served as Selectman 18 years + on Transfer Station Committee & AVCOG.
- Barbara & Irving Robinson have helped library for years & biked across America as fundraiser
- David & Gloria Paro have served Hiram Hist. Society, Community Club, Cemetery Committee.
- Michael Orff dedicates personal time and money to cleaning + preserving veteran grave markers
- James Sysko over 30 year span has served on Select Board, Planning Board, Withdrawal Comm.
- Ryan & Amanda Putnam organized effort revitalizing Peru ball field & youth sports programs.
- Sylvia Touchette was Town Clerk 15 yrs, on Cemetery Comm. 20 yrs, Election Warden 15+ yr
- Robert & Druscilla Breton have done much to help Greater Rumford Historical Soc. for 25 yrs.
- Leon Poland has served yrs as Selectman, done many things to help his Woodstock community.
- Rosalie Poland has done much to help Whitman Memorial Library + other causes over the years.
- Michael Judkins has been a volunteer firefighter for 44 ½ years & also helped snowmobile club.
- Nelson Durgin has served on boards of Kiwanis, Rotary, United Way, Historical Society + more
- Bradley Volunteer Fire Dept. assists with all Bradley’s emergency/safety issues, often at night.
- Julia Sundberg has dedicated countless hours to creating and caring for the Community Garden.
- William Palmer earned Bronze Star & Purple Heart, was a Selectman, town meeting moderator.
- Robert Davis has been a little league coach, member of Fire Department, Cemetery Committee.
- Rick Whitney has been a teacher, Key Club Advisor, Kiwanian & Historical Society volunteer.
- Linda Wakefield organizes the food assistance program & helps distribute over 42 meals/month.
- Debra Ryan donates food to church, Chamber of Commerce; also helps fire dept., folks in need.
- Hampden Children’s Day Committee organizes the annual event with activities for children.
- Arthur & Catherine Witham have placed flags on Vet graves in five cemeteries for 30 years.
- Eugene Turner has overcome handicaps, goes out of his way to aid those needing help/guidance
- Angela Belk volunteers many hours helping Lincoln + her business donates products for events.
- Jerry Bulley has given many years of very dedicated service to Katahdin Area Support Group.
- Tricia Cyr has helped Century Bike Ride, Fourth of July, and Millinocket Marathon activities,
- Matt DeLaney, Director of Millinocket Memorial Library, got grant of over $1 million for libr.
- Albert Fowler has helped Friends of Millinocket Library Capital Campaign and tutored jobless.
- Cody McEwen chairs Town Council, plays key role in Trails End Festival, volunteers at Stearns.
- Jerry Dunivan helps with baseball field works on Pond Assoc. + cooks at Plymouth Fun Days.
- Walter Boomsma has been town moderator, state grange webmaster & assists Valley Grange.
- John Brainard lost his life in combat while serving his country & he continues to inspire others.
- Rodney Preble has served many years as town’s fire chief + plays a key role in Bowerbank Days
- Brownville Free Public Library organizes an Easter Egg Hunt & other things for folks to enjoy.
- Friends of Central Hall partnered with their town and raised interest & money to save building.
- Maine Highlands Senior Center provides key services for older residents and their care givers.
- Prudy & David Richards have done so much to help the Greenville community over the years.
- Hardwood Products Company has donated to the town & Fire Dept., also awards scholarships.
- Damien Pickel organizes summer meals program to feed kids, and he also combats opioid crisis.
- Barbara Wilbur is key in success of local food cupboard; she gets donations & purchases food.
- Alvina Church served 24 yrs in the town office, knew town’s history, had a smile for everyone.
- Sebec Village Community Christian has collected food for folks in need, hosts July 4 breakfast
- Colleen Ashe was a member of Shirley Community Church, Moosehead Hist. Soc., other groups.
- Walter Hish served in Armed Forces, earned Purple Heart, was a Selectman + volunteer fireman
- Jeremy Blailock, Joseph Bonnett & Michael Kreindler spent many hours finding new, suitable truck for Arrowsic Volunteer Fire Dept.
- Sheryl Ritchie has spearheaded the ‘Books on the Bus’ program, inspiring youths to read more.
- Luke MacFayden co-founded both Bowdoinham Food Pantry & Bowdoinham Farmer’s Market.
- Donald Cowing served on Georgetown School Committee 17 yrs, helps his town in other ways.
- Karen Cowing is Solid Waste Management Commission Secretary & helps town in other ways.
- John Morse has served on SelectBoard, Planning Board & Appeals Board + many committees.
- Kimberly Lane created a Summer Rec Program & spearheaded the Hunger Prevention program.
- Richard Snow has served as a teacher, sports coach, Selectman, Commissioner + done lots more.
- Jay Paris Jr. has given over forty years of dedicated service to the West Bath Planning Board.
- John & Edna Kennedy maintain cemetery, also assist garden clubs and Habitat for Humanity.
- Bruce Manzer has been sports volunteer, School Board member + helps Travis Mills Foundation
- Athens Community School Staff strives to provide each student tools to achieve full potential.
- Elizabeth Brochu has served a number of yrs on School Board, done so much to help her town.
- Ronald Watson has served 14 years as Selectman and been Cambridge Lodge member 58 years.
- Pamela Hitchcock has been volunteering at and running Canaan Food Cupboard for many years.
- Sandra Howard is the founder and tireless leader of grass roots organization Say No to NECEC.
- Peter Mills has served as State Senator, on Judiciary Committee, many other boards/committees.
- Carol McCarron assisted library comm. and parks & rec for 20+ yrs, chaired Detroit field days.
- Ruth Blake has been town Tax Collector & has given much volunteer service to her community.
- Kimberly Lindlof has assisted groups by insight, leadership, grant-writing & strategic planning.
- Jeff Chadbourne has volunteered countless hours as President of the Harmony Patriarch Club.
- Ronald Holmes has coached sports, helped Lions Club and Masons & chaired Vets flag project.
- Charles & Rebecca O’Brien donate to charities & groups, give helping hand whenever needed.
- Katie Ouilette helped Madison with economic development & as ‘Now You Know’ show host.
- Lew Ouilette diligently served for decades on the town’s Planning and Budget Advisory Boards.
- Mercer Rescue, the town’s first responder rescue service, started in 2016 & is much appreciated.
- Harald Moore has served 20 years as Selectman, 4 yrs as Chair; he does so much to help town.
- Sandra Carter has organized and run an afterschool program for Moscow pupils for past 10 yrs.
- New Portland Community Library organizes an assortment of special events, services to folks.
- Matt & Kerri Everett have dedicated countless hours to Norridgewock Rec Dept., other causes.
- Michael Cray has served as sports coach, School Resource Officer, Selectman, does much more.
- Thomas Brown has helped preserve Pittsfield’s historical records + keep archives open to public
- Barbara Wakefield has served on School Board, Food Cupboard Board, Celebration Committee
- Lynda Quinn has served on the SelectBoard, School Board, Library Board & also Eastern Star.
- East Pond Association Board of Directors has worked very hard for decades to preserve pond.
- Linda French has helped the library, Bicentennial Committee, Food Cupboard, children in need.
- Michael Wiers has helped St. Albans Cemetery Comm., Tri Town Food Cupboard, more causes.
- Starks Veterans have done and given so much over hundreds of years to keep our country safe.
- Belfast Soup Kitchen Board Members and Volunteers provide meals & hope to those in need.
- Stephen & Donna Hopkins serve on town committees, help with Block Party & the Xmas Party.
- Dan & Paula Miron have volunteered tirelessly for the church, thrift store, theater and grange.
- Mitchell’s Roofing and Sheet Metal & the Mitchell Family rebuilt town’s bell cupola for free.
- Charlotte & Jim Mitchell have done so much for the Lighthouse & several other organizations.
- Theo Stacey served on School Board, Food Pantry, Genealogical Soc., Grange & as ballot clerk.
- Eleanor Tibbetts served 24 years as Jackson’s town clerk, cooked for fairs & community events.
- Virginia Work gave decades of dedicated service to Jackson & she was known as a hard worker.
- Knox Bicentennial Committee created book, Veterans Memorial addition, t-shirts for the 200th.
- Barb Rehmeyer has done so much to assist Liberty Library & also taught school for many years.
- Cecil Dennison has served on Budget Committee, Cemetery Committee, Memorial Day Parade.
- Patti Wright runs the Northport Food Pantry; she lines up volunteers, organizes fundraisers, etc.
- Summer Hotham, a high schooler, has assisted Eagle Soccer Camp, her church & many others.
- Ralph & Joyce Harvey have run food cupboard, helped their church and served on town boards.
- Vern Thompson has volunteered his landscaping services at Harbor, to help downtown & more.
- Ben Despres as a community service takes care of all the Town of Swanville’s technology needs.
- Anthony Brillard has helped with Bicentennial celebration, roads, cemetery, auction + as sexton.
- Steven Piper has worked hard helping town during his yrs as Chair of Troy Forestry Committee.
- Annie Robinson has headed church’s Thanksgiving & Xmas baskets 20 yrs + helps food pantry.
- David Perham has been fire chief, responsible for town’s US flags & helps Union Hall projects.
- Raymond Phillips is an East Machias Fire Dept. volunteer & provides help to vets in every way.
- Bob Mercer has chaired Ordinance Committee & been Treasurer of cemetery, church, hist. soc.
- Neighbors Helping Neighbors assists residents in need who don’t qualify for general assistance.
- Eleanor Murphy has served in Legislature, as Selectman, on Budget Comm. & on library board.
- Annabelle Carpenter has helped Bon Appetit food kitchen, for 20+ yrs as a cook + kitchen asst.
- Thomas & Janet Carper have served as Selectmen, on the library and various town committees.
- Rusty Keene has donated resources and material for softball field, soccer field, & athletic track.
- Megan Weeks-Zotara has devoted much time and effort to help Dr. William Fogg Free Library.
- Muriel Johnson has volunteered for Community Clothing Closet & Christmas Fund Committee.
- David James is Residents Association Newsletter editor & has been on town Budget Committee.
- Dorcas Society & West Lebanon Ladies Circle give scholarships. fuel assistance; feed needy.
- Jonathan Kinney has served Plan Board, volunteered for several groups, put flags on vet graves.
- Maurice St. Clair has served as Road Commissioner, on Budget Comm., Library Board + more.
- Bruce Colwell has organized numerous dances benefiting families in need or charitable causes.
- Martha Morrison has helped Agency on Aging, a local food pantry, town’s Historical Society.
- Hilary Wallis updated info in Newfield’s Comprehensive Plan & has helped many other causes.
- Peter Washington assists American Legion, Boy Scouts, snowmobile club, and Appeals Board.
- Janet Blemain, Susan Caler, Sally Eldridge, Lorinda Hilton, Katie Jacques & Linda Rose for 11 yrs have run Craft Fair raising $66,000+ to feed & keep warm folks in need.
Old Orchard Beach
- Cathy Chiasson has chaired senior program that organizes Sand4Safety, Senior2Senior & more.
- Dennis Robillard organized Crutches4Africa + plays a key role in Memorial Park flag-lowering.
- Mary Beth Robillard chairs Memorial Park Committee & does fundraising to maintain the park.
- Robert Biggs serves as Exec Director of Saco Main Street, has accomplished much in this role.
- Jean Saunders is Director of Age Friendly Saco, has introduced several new programs in city.
- Hazel Goodwin has volunteered for sixty-three years as a leader of the 4 Leaf Clover 4-H Club.
- Louise Anderson has helped Youth Center, Youth Penny Sale, Strawberry Run & Senior Center.